Friday, May 20, 2011

Comic Review of Morning Glories


I've just finished the first Morning Glories book, a great comic by Nick Spencer, Joe Eisma and Rodin Esquejo. I bought it at 1,000,000 Comix here in Montreal and in suggesting it to me the (amazing) man working there asked me if I had liked Lost. This comic beats Lost hands down, it is up there in my top 5 favorite comics. As suggested by The Amazing Comic Man, Morning Glories has a clear story arc; Lost seemed to get off track near the end, pulling ideas from all over the place. The series grabs you right away by introducing the teenage characters in an interesting way, giving you just enough info to gauge who the characters are while not overwhelming the reader. You come to like most of the characters right away (except for the evil spawn that is Ike); they don't come across as too stereotypical. There's even one from Toronto!
While the story opening has you thinking these teens are about to journey through a normal life event, going away to school, you find out quickly (sneakily and suspiciously) that their journey to Morning Glory Academy is more dangerous than it seems. I rapidly read through the first book and found the storyline filled with enough danger and suspense to keep me on my toes, and enough answers to keep the story flowing. Although, as soon as you answer one question, you have three more. I highly recommend the series to comic veterans (which I am not sadly, yet) and new comic readers alike.

You can find my favorite comic shop (and The Amazing Comic Man) at 1418 rue Pierce.

Picture taken from:            

1 comment:

  1. I read it. It was okay. City of Dust was better. I actually kind of didnt understand the ending to Morning Glories.

    http://ladala.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete