Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Home Birth Put Simply

In the trend today of sharing articles with you, I bring you this article written by Susan Heavey about her home birth and why she chose it.  I have read a ton about birthing, am in the process of being registered as a doula, and have had one hospital birth, and so have many reasons why I want to give birth at home next time (more autonomy, respect, a better environment for the baby and myself, lower risk, etc.).  I appreciate this article because it lays it out so simply, and therefore is accessible to readers who have no involvement or knowledge of birthing culture.  Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm also a twenty-something mom, of an almost-2-year-old, and I love the feminism/women's rights/motherhood themes you've got going here. Very cool. I don't plan on having a second child, but if I did I would definitely strive for a home birth, or at least to have a doula. I saw a midwife all through my pregnancy but then had to switch to a doctor during the last month (because I had to move back home from college once school was out, long story), and gosh, the difference in practices was astonishing. I missed my midwife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I didn't have the opportunity of working with a midwife, I am jealous that you did! I had the all to classic uninformed hospital birth and became more informed after my daughter was born in 2006.

    ReplyDelete