Friday, November 4, 2011

More Business of Being Born Premiere

Yesterday, upon arriving at work, I was greeted with a new post by one of my favorite local doulas and advocates, Lesley Everest (a.k.a Motherwit).  She posted an article on her blog about the impact of The Business of Being Born - the movie made by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein that has changed birth culture in North America.  This movie was, for me, and many other women, a catalyst for involvement in, and knowledge of, the birth community.  Before watching the movie I knew that my childbirth experience with my daughter had been... icky.  After watching, I suddenly had words to describe just exactly HOW and WHY my experience had been so disempowering.  

Lesley states, "Not only does Business of Being Born depict the problems and illustrate the need for change, narrated by midwives AND obstetricians, it also lets us know how deeply moving, empowering, and incredible natural birth can be. Yeah, it hurts. Fair enough. But how that wonderful dance of hormones and baby love transforms women into powerful mothers when the journey is over is at the heart of this film."

Now, the premiere of More Business of Being Born is upon us, taking place on November 9th in Los Angeles. I've already pre-ordered my copy, and I cannot wait to see what Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein have done with these films.  

Check out the official trailer here.
Get information and tickets for the Los Angeles premiere here.
Read Lesley Everest's article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment